Daily Fast Feed Roundup
Hello Tumblr! Here’s a quick rundown of what you need to know today:
- Michelle Obama and the White House just joined Instagram. We’ll see if they can rock the web as hard as Hillary Clinton did with her awesome Twitter bio.
- Asia’s first 3-D printed fashion show was a big hit.
- An 18-year old Icelandic WikiLeaks volunteer made about $5,000 working as a paid FBI informant.
- Here’s a video pitch for Atlantis … a virtual black market for drugs.
- The environmental blog Grist created a crowdsourced Google map of America’s natural disasters.
- A new study has found that mobile ads are what’s killing your phone’s battery power.
- Facebook has fixed a bug that let hackers hijack accounts via SMS text message.
- A study found that big data offers the travel industry many amazing opportunities for growth but that major brands are not taking advantage of these benefits.
- Taco Bell has launched a “Protein Power” menu, which will be loaded with extra meat. Yum?
Taco Bell is testing a Waffle Taco. Because… why not?
Since it launched in early 2012, Taco Bell has sold more than 450 million Doritos Locos Tacos.
But its creation started back in 2009 with a trip to Home Depot. To show executives how the companies could fuse the flavor of Doritos with taco shells, the dev teams “basically went out to Home Depot to buy a paint-spray gun, and then sprayed [Doritos] flavoring onto our existing yellow corn tacos,” recalls Taco Bell CEO Greg Creed.
"It was pretty funny watching people from behind glass spraying our tacos with a paint gun. But it was enough for us to know conceptually that we had a big idea."
In order to create the DLT, the teams had to consider everything from seasoning mechanics to the taco’s structural integrity throughout 2010 and 2011. “Frito-Lay wanted what’s called a ‘teeth-rattling crunch,’ so they wanted it to snap and crunch more than the current Taco Bell shell snaps and crunches,” Creed says. “So we had to get that formula changed, then we had to find a way to deliver the flavoring, and then the seasoning. I mean, it was actually important that we left the orange dusting on your fingers because otherwise, we’re not delivering the genuine Doritos [experience].”
For many people, the best part of the Superbowl is the commercials. Here is Taco Bell’s hilarious spot titled "Viva Young."
If this is only a taste of what is coming on Sunday, the Superbowl XLVII should be great.
Taco Bell sells a Potato & Paneer Burrito in India. Pizza Hut Dubai offers the ”Cheese Burger Crown Crust Pizza” (think sliders). McDonald’s Italy has a mozzarella burger on the menu. It’s lunchtime!