Today in History: February 12th 1915, the cornerstone for the Lincoln Memorial was laid in Washington D.C., a year to the day after groundbreaking.
The Lincoln Memorial stands at the west end of the National Mall as a neoclassical monument to the 16th President. The memorial, designed by Henry Bacon, after ancient Greek temples, stands 190 feet long, 119 feet wide, and almost 100 feet high. It is surrounded by a peristyle of 38 fluted Doric columns, one for each of the thirty six states in the Union at the time of Lincoln’s death, and two columns in-antis at the entrance behind the colonnade.
The north and south side chambers contain carved inscriptions of Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address and his Gettysburg Address. Lying between the north and south chambers is the central hall containing the solitary figure of Lincoln sitting in contemplation. The statue was carved in four years by the Piccirilli brothers under the supervision of the sculptor, Daniel Chester French. The statue of Lincoln is 19 feet high and weighs 175 tons. The original plan was for the statue to be only ten feet high, but this was changed so that the figure of Lincoln would not be dwarfed by the size of the chamber.
A commission to plan a monument was first proposed in 1867, shortly after Lincoln’s death. The design for that plan called for six equestrian and 31 pedestrian statues of colossal size, with a 12-foot statue of Lincoln in the center. That project was never started for lack of funds. Congress approved the bill to construct this memorial in 1910.
Construction began in 1914, and the memorial was opened to the public in 1922. The Memorial is visited by millions of visitors each year and is the site of many large public gatherings and protests. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his famous “I Have a Dream” speech to a crowd by the Lincoln Memorial in 1963.
Epitaph above Abraham Lincoln:
“IN THIS TEMPLE
AS IN THE HEARTS OF THE PEOPLE
FOR WHOM HE SAVED THE UNION
THE MEMORY OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN
IS ENSHRINED FOREVER”
- charliepowell likes this
- hetket likes this
- appelsiinimehu likes this
- progressum likes this
- rev320productions likes this
- chocolateynata likes this
- amchphotography likes this
- livinghislife reblogged this from fastcompany
- vidaenmono likes this
- anythingphotography reblogged this from bobbycaputo and added:
- seamusiteverwas reblogged this from fastcompany
- lookinlegit likes this
- thewallstreetexecutive reblogged this from fastcompany
- dragonfish00 likes this
- writeyournameinblood reblogged this from fastcompany
- gugugutwrench reblogged this from fastcompany
- indigochild12 likes this
- sunrisesusedtobeprettier reblogged this from fastcompany
- pbstv likes this
- themoosehead likes this
- 713-4th-ward-g likes this
- fastcompany reblogged this from bobbycaputo
- jasmineandthedoctor likes this
- natty-anne reblogged this from bobbycaputo
- netskitogwapito likes this
- womaninterrupted likes this
- fairicade reblogged this from bobbycaputo
- fairicade likes this
- jdspiker likes this
- bobbycaputo posted this